Friday, March 8, 2013

Bring in the Professionals

In December 2009, I asked for a personal trainer for Christmas. I felt good about how far I had come, but I knew I could do more.

In January 2010, I started working 3/week with Brian Cansler.  He pushed me all over the place.  I learned new cardio moves, new weight lifting moves, and how much I HATE box jumps.  To this day, I'm terrified that I am going to break my nose every time I attempt them.

A typical session with him lasted a full hour, minus 5 minutes of warm-up and 5 minutes of stretching.  To warm up, he had me walk intervals of the treadmill.  1 minute at 7% at 3 mph, 1 minute, 1 at 15% at 3, then 2 minutes at 7% at 4 mph, then back to 15, then 7 back and forth until he got bored, I guess.  :)  Then he would pull me off the machine to do some lifting.  Good Mornings were a favorite of his.  Then back to cardio, usually we would go outside for frog jumps and sprints, and various other misery.  Then back inside for some more lifting.  Then some more cardio (this is where box jumps usually made an appearance), then some ab work, then done.  I left his sessions completely drenched in sweat, and grinning from ear-to-ear.



During that time, I was still working out on my own in the mornings (4-5 days/week).  Plus 3 sessions in the afternoon with him. If I was bored, I would go back and do two more on my own, on the other evenings.  And if it was a really rough week, I'd pop in for an hour or 2 on a Saturday.  I had also joined a soccer team, my beloved Storm.  So, I was hitting the gym 8-12/week, plus soccer on Sundays.

May 2010
195 lbs and 10 weeks pregnant
I played GK, but came out and scored a goal during the 2nd half

My diet stayed pretty much the same as it had in 2009, except that I added more protein, and less sweets. I tried to decide if the things I craved (like ice cream) were really worth redacting the hard work that I was putting in.  Some days it was, and some days it wasn't.  In mid April, I decided to try Oxy Elite Pro (a thermogenic) to see if I could get results faster.  Read on for what happened with that.

In early March, I came down with a horrendous case of bronchitis.  It lingered.  And lingered.  So I took some time off to try and heal.  I went back to the gym in late March, and was going strong through April.  In late April, I started feeling like crud during my work-outs.  I'd show up for a session with Brian, and he'd drag me outside for some frog jumps, and I just felt like I was trying to jump through a brick wall.  I was sluggish, exhausted, and sore.  I asked him if he knew anything about excess exercise causing bruising, because I started to notice huge bruises all over my legs and arms.  With the gym owner, we decided that I should go get my iron levels checked, and maybe dial back the exercise while I waited on results.

Meanwhile, my period had stopped again.  On the Metformin, I had managed to get on a 35 day cycle.  By late April, I was on Week 9 of no period.  I took three different pregnancy tests, and they were all negative (on days 42, 62, and 67, since you asked).  On April 22, 2010, I called my OB, told her I was on day 69, and asked if I could come in for blood work to test my iron and make sure I hadn't developed some sort of Metformin resistance.  She suggested that I swing by a clinic and get my blood drawn for a pregnancy test instead.

On Tuesday, April 27th, she called with the news that I was indeed 10 weeks pregnant.  To say that I was in shock is an understatement.  My first thought was to tell the husband.  My second thought was to write a nasty letter to all of the manufacturers of the pregnancy tests (I used 2 different brands).  My third thought was, "I wonder what that means for my work-outs?".  And my fourth thought was, "well, crap.  I've been taking Oxy Elite for 4 days, I hope that doesn't hurt the baby."

The first belly pic

With my Ob's blessing, I continued exercising.  Her rule was that if I could speak 2 sentences normally, then the baby was getting enough oxygen.  If I was having trouble speaking 2 sentences, I needed to stop or slow down.  She advised me against doing ab work, but said nothing else was off limits.

Since I had already paid for my trainer, I continued working with him until I was 17 weeks along, doing 2 sessions/week.  I continued going to the gym on mornings that I wasn't too tired to move (so, 2-3 days/week).  I continued taking the Metformin (again, at the advice of my doc).  I quit the Oxy Elite immediately.  I stopped eating the protein bars, and found other ways to incorporate protein into my diet.

From Jan 2010 through May 2010, I lost an additional 30 pounds.  I was 195 pounds, and wearing a 16-18.

No comments:

Post a Comment