Thursday, March 14, 2013

Gaining while Training

At the end of Nov 2011, the scale started going up.  And up.  And up.  At 217 pounds by Feb 1, I threw my hands up in disgust.   I was eating right.  I was exercising.  I was training for a Sprint Tri.  I was still BFing my kid twice a day.  What was I doing wrong?!

I made an appointment with my doctor.  I told her that I had gained 22 pounds in 3 months, and the only change in my life was that I had stopped pumping.  And I was willing to give 10 pounds of blame to that, but 22 pounds seems extreme, especially when you as active as I am!

I met with her in February 2012.  I could see the judgement all over her face when she walked in the room.  She was ready to tell me to cut out fast food, eat sensibly, and walk 3 times a week, I could tell.  So when I jumped in and told her what I ate and when, and just how much I move, she was shocked.  When I told her that I was in the midst of training for a Sprint Tri, she was blown away.  She and I spent some time discussing my medical history, and of course PCOS.  She was surprised that I hadn't ever been told that PCOS is a life-long struggle, and that I may need help from Metformin to control my weight for the rest of my life.  She ordered a round of blood work to make sure there wasn't another problem, and then put me on 500 mg of Metformin daily, starting in April 2012.

In December of 2011, I joined a new gym.  I decided to try out a 24 Hour Fitness, because their 24 hour pool would allow me to get in some swims before work.  From January- April 2012, I swam 2-4 mornings/week, for 35-40 minutes, depending on how many times I hit the "snooze" button. :)  I also ran 2-5 nights/week (usually 3 miles, with the stroller) and rode my bike at least once on the weekends (anywhere from 5-15 miles).   I still went to Stroller Strides on Saturdays.

On February 15, 2012, I gave up nursing my daughter.  She was 15 months old, and we decided that it was time.  I share this just because it did affect my calorie burn for the day, and it affected my diet.  Once she was off the boob, I  jumped back on to my protein bars, and started eating one for breakfast every morning. I still ate a sensible lunch and dinner, along with 1-2 snacks (trail mix or a piece of fruit) each day.  And I still splurged on ice cream and beer and such.  :)

March 2012
Girls Weekend to celebrate my boobs' freedom

In April 2012, I competed in a Sprint Tri.  It was a 400m pool swim, a 14 mile bike, and a 3.2 mile run.  My goal was to complete it in 1.5 hours, not counting transitions.  I completed it in 1:38, after completely bonking on the run (and a brutal headwind on 10 miles of the bike).  I was moving along, feeling good, and all of a sudden, I was walking.  My brain was saying "RUN! GO!" and my legs just weren't responding.  It was the strangest feeling.  Luckily, I had some GU in my Tri jersey, which I knocked back right after the 1 mile marker of the run.  By the turn around (1.6 miles), I was running again, and finished with a smile on my face.  I landed in 2nd place of the Athenas division.

Finishing strong
1/2 mile left

No comments:

Post a Comment