Friday, May 31, 2013

Whole 30: 26-30

Day 26
Breakfast: Paleo pancakes
Lunch: Salad (sans dressing), Grilled shrimp, steamed veggies, sweet pot fries
Dinner: Banana, pork loin, dinner roll, ice cream

Hubs knew he let me down on my birthday, so he's making up for it this morning with paleo pancakes.  Hope they're good!

Also, it seems like my clean eating is rubbing off on hubs.  We were invited to lunch with my parents, to a place that is famous for all you can eat fried shrimp.  Debating whether or not to go, hubs said, "I always feel bad after I eat there.  It's just a mess of grease, and I don't think I want to go eat that.  But, I guess I don't *have* to get anything fried.  I guess I could get something else."  Yay hubby!

I was so bloated and miserable at the end of the day.  Crazy what one bad weekend can do.

Day 27
Breakfast: Paleo pancakes (leftover)
Lunch: Club bowl at Which Wich (no croutons + avocado)
Snack: TCBY White Choc Mousse
Dinner: Paleo meatballs, green beans, broccoli, blueberries

After how miserable I was on Sunday, I tried to keep things a little more in check on Monday.  I felt much better at the end of the day.

One strange thing about how much better I'm sleeping is how much more vivid my dreams are.  I've been having some WILD dreams.  Last night's was Hunger Games style warfare, and I was trying to save my daughter as well as myself, only we had GPS on all of our clothing, so we couldn't get out.  I kept trying to wrap us in foil to disrupt the GPS signal.  It was nuts, but completely (scarily) realistic.

Day 28:
Pre Workout: 1/2 banana
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with salsa
Lunch: Lettuce wraps at CPK
Snack: nectarine
Dinner: Baked salmon, steamed zucchini, Chenin Blanc wine
Snack: ice cream

Hubs and I decided to meet up for a spur of the moment lunch at CPK.  I had a long (internal) debate with myself about what to order.  The Thai Chicken pizza (my fave thing to get there), the Waldorf salad (sounded good), or the Lettuce wraps (because I really wanted Pei Wei).  I ended up with the lettuce wraps, because the pizza dough sounded really gross.  It's been crazy hard to keep sugar out of my meals the last several days, but I don't remotely miss grains.  I won't have any problem keeping those out for the long haul!

I was exhausted yesterday, and really just wanted wine for dinner.  Or ice cream.  So I did.  I fell back into old habits, that when I had a hard day, I went straight for comfort foods.  But, I made a point of savoring it, and I stopped when it no longer tasted good.  So at least there's that.

Day 29
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with salsa, banana
Snack: Banana and Pumpkin puree
Lunch: Tilapia and roasted sweet potato
Snack: Larabar (blueberry muffin)
Dinner: Fajitas

Since starting the Whole 30 (and I may have said this before), I feel like it's taking me longer to recover from workouts.  I mainly feel it in my hamstrings, they just stay sore forever, even when I didn't work them that hard.  So, that's why I scarfed down the banana and pumpkin puree.  I'm hoping the carbs will help me heal. I know that I need to stick with the starchy veggies on workout days, but I just love fruit.  Gah!

About 4:00, I started craving fajitas like crazy.  The hubs was working late and my BIL was out of town, so my sister and I ended up at my parents' house after our run.  We ordered Gringo's, and I chowed down on beef and chicken, grilled onions, and guac.  I also stole some queso from my daughter.  And I ended up eating about 10 chips, which I hadn't planned on.  I should have gotten up from the table or pushed the chips away, but I kept sitting and chatting, and ended up eating chips.  After I had eaten my satisfying meal.  GAH!!

Day 30
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with salsa, Sweet potato+pumpkin+apple+blueberry squeeze
Lunch: Baked salmon with steamed zucchini (leftovers), nectarine
Snack: Carrot+parsnip+apple squeeze
Dinner:  Snacks

So, yesterday, my legs were in agony.  Today it's my shoulders.  I asked a paleo friend for thoughts on why it's taking me so much longer to recover.  I'm not lifting as heavy as I did pre-Whole 30, choosing boot camp HIIT workouts instead of lifting.  This whole time, I've thought it was a lack of carbs that is keeping me down, since I was thinking that was the biggest change.  But, it finally hit me this morning:  Protein!!!  Before the Whole 30, I used to drink a protein shake for lunch.  35+ grams of protein every day.  And I doubt that I'm getting that now, since my lunch has been leftover chicken or fish with veggies.  I'm probably only getting about 4 ounces of meat at lunch, and another 6 or so at dinner (dinner is the same as before).  So, instead of trying to find more carb-y veggies to recover, I'm going to concentrate on packing in more protein.  Any advice on doing that without a shake would be great!

So, I hate eating dinner during the summer.  All I ever want to eat is fajitas and burgers, and of course, fruit! So, I had a banana at my mom's house.  And some baked Cheetos off of the Kid's plate.  And then some pineapple.  And then when I got home, I couldn't decide what to eat, so I had 1/2 of a banana that I found in the fridge.  And then I was still hungry (duh) so I had a chocolate cherry torte Larabar.  I really wanted to make a smoothie, but I couldn't even convince myself to get the blender out.  That's how much I hate being in the kitchen during the summer.  So, dinner was a sad affair.

So, that's it.  30 days of cleaning up my eating, paying attention to how I feel, yadda yadda yadda.  I took "before" pictures, and hopefully I will be able to snap some "after" pics tonight, and then I can do a whole recap post.  But the short version is that I feel amazing.  More energy, massively less bloated (my tummy is soclose to being "flat"!!!), easier to go to sleep (yay for naps!).  However, I'm not recovering from workouts as quickly, and I'm a little overwhelmed at learning how much sh*t is in the food that we eat everyday, which makes me queasy about feeding it to my kid!  Plus, I haven't finished the Whole 30 book, so I don't even know if I did this the right way!!

Ok, so that was a little more than a short recap.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment