Sunday, May 12, 2013

Whole 30 the Real Deal

Day 6:
Breakfast: Scrambled egg whites with bruschetta topping (see previous post)
Post workout: Banana
Snack: Beet Chips
Lunch: Turkey empanada stuffing, steamed carrots, fresh broccoli
Snack: Mixed nuts
Dinner: Salmon with asparagus, grapes, and strawberries.

I slept like CRAP last night.  It took me forever to fall asleep, and then I woke up every hour.  At 4:15, I threw in the towel, and just laid in bed with my eyes open.  I don't know if it was the long nap or the Whole 30, or something else, but it wasn't pleasant!  I went ahead and drug myself to Boot Camp, since I was up anyway.  There were only 5 of us there, and it was fun.  I don't feel like I worked as hard as I did last week. The timeline tells me that it's totally normal.  But that sucked!  With each step I took on the runs, I could feel a jarring in my hips.  I'm hoping that's not a Whole 30 thing, but a sign that I need new shoes.  I'm gonna go get some on my lunch break, hopefully that will help!

After lunch today, I felt super crummy.  I had a headache, my eyes were sensitive to light, and I was craving dried blueberries (or anything sweet... gummy bears even sound good!) like a mad woman.  I'm really hoping I'm not going to crash and burn on this Whole 30.  But the fever-y headache-y feeling has got to go!  On the plus side, this morning I felt less mucus-y then I can remember feeling in a long time.  So that's a plus.

I totally spazzed on dinner, it was completely flavorless.  What a waste of fancy fish!  I am currently craving some banana nut bread (there's a fresh loaf, homemade by my dad, just sitting in the pantry).  I think trying to go cold turkey on the fruit was a bad idea, I wanted it all day long.  I think tomorrow I will add one fruit back in, maybe some strawberries at lunch, or an apple with almond butter for a snack.

I've heard mixed messages on snacking.  I haven't read the book, but some people tell me that the book bans snacking, and some people say the book makes no mention of snacking.  I'm going to stick with snacking for now.  I think all these years of 5 small meals may have made my stomach smaller, because I get SO full when I sit down for dinner.  If I try to go to 3 large meals, I think I am setting myself up for failure at the end of the 30 days, because I know I won't be able to stick with that format.

Day 7
Breakfast: Scrambled egg whites with bruschetta topping
Snack: Apple with almond butter
Second snack: Handful of walnuts, raisins, and coconut flakes
Lunch: Turkey empanada stuffing, broccoli, peas from the garden
Snack: Walnuts, raisins, and coconut flakes
Dinner: Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, and strawberries

I am the most boring lunch date ever.  I have zero problem eating the exact same thing for breakfast and lunch every day, forever.  The walnuts, raisins, and coconut is surprisingly delicious.  I'm excited that this challenge is really making me get out of my comfort zone of flavors and cooking.  That's not to say that I'm getting good at making new things, but that I am trying!

Yes, I ate two morning snacks today.  I didn't hit the gym this morning, and I'm always hungrier on days that I don't work out.  Weird.  Dinner was supposed to be mashed cauliflower, but we forgot to buy any cauliflower at the store!  Whoops.  Good thing the Munchkin had tossed an extra head of broccoli into the cart.  I still miss ketchup more than anything else.  I found a recipe for homemade sugar-free ketchup, I'm going to make it this weekend.

Day 8
Breakfast: scrambled egg whites with bruschetta topping, glass of orange juice
Snack: Apple, walnuts
Lunch: Hamburger patty with avocado, carrots, grapes
Snack: Banana, almonds (was at my mom's house again, need to plan better for Wednesdays)
Dinner: Ham, kale chips, 1/2 grapefruit

I finished off the last of the bruschetta topping, so tomorrow will be back to avocado.  :)  My throat was hurting all day yesterday, so I added a glass of OJ this morning (100% juice, nothing added), because I like to try that before I try medicine.  It made me SOOOOO sick.  Or maybe it was the diet that made me sick.  But I was down for the count yesterday.

In other news, I hit a new low on the scale today.  Anyone who read my MS150 posts knew that I had gotten down to 172.2, but was yo-yoing, putting on 4-6 pounds every weekend because of the carb loading for my training rides.  Which is what made me want to do this diet... if a reasonable bowl of pasta or pizza on Friday night, 4-6 Fig Newtons, and a serving of Endurox can make me put on 4-6 pounds while I'm riding my bike 40-80 miles, I wanted to see what would happen if I cut out those carbs!  Happily, the scale settled at 171.6 this morning, even though I weighed 20 minutes earlier than I usually do (yes, those 20 minutes matter!).   So YAY for being that much closer to my goal weight!!!

Day 9
Breakfast: Scrambled Egg whites.  Avocado was rotten inside :(
Post Workout: Banana
Lunch: Hamburger patty, steamed asparagus
Snack: Fruit (pineapple, small kiwi, strawberries) pilfered from the break room.  :)
Snack (worked late): Handful of almonds on the LONG drive home
Dinner: 1/4 of Spanish Tortilla (DELICIOUS)

Boot camp was back to being AWESOME this morning.  I had SO much stinking energy.  They had flags up around our parking lot that was blacktopped earlier this week, and I was leaping over the flags when we took off on our runs.  Leaping.  And smiling.  In the middle of boot camp. WTF?  I don't even know me.  I asked the owner to make most of the exercises harder for me.  It just all seemed too easy.  Go me!

I almost cried when I cut into my rotten avocado.  Because that means I have to eat a dry burger for lunch, unless I can find some Whole30 ketchup in the next 1.5 hours.  Blech.

Something I learned today: parsnips are delish.  I don't know that I've ever had one, but I really liked them!

So far, the things I miss the most are Powerade Zero and ketchup!!  I thought I would be crying for wine and ice cream by now, but I've hardly even missed those.  But oh, how I miss my occasional Powerade and my all-the-time ketchup.  The ketchup thing might bring me to tears before this is over.

Day 10
Breakfast (so not hungry): 1/4 of the Spanish Tortilla
Post Workout: banana
Lunch: Chicken salad, steamed carrots, 2 strawberries
Snack: 1/2 grapefruit
Dinner:  Hamburger patty with salsa, steamed squash

I really need to work on my post-workout snack.  I know I need more protein, because my muscles are screaming at me, but I don't want to chow down on meat at 7 am.  I think I will spend some time researching quick protein sources that are Whole 30 friendly.  :)

My chicken salad is grilled chicken that I shredded, 1/2 large avocado, 1/2 small apple, and some cut up grapes.  Basically the linked recipe, but I did avocado instead of almond butter.  I don't know, it was late, and I thought that's what the recipe said, but apparently not.  It was dang good, if I do say so myself.

I had my first "test" of being out with friends.  My besties were hilarious jerks about it, saying I couldn't go out if I wasn't gonna drink.  Other than that, it wasn't too bad.  It was Bunco night with my mom's group, and it was easy to avoid the food and drink there.  If margaritas and chocolate had been served, that might have been a different story.  Then we went out to a bar that was beer only.  And at first, I reallllly wanted a beer, but then we all got up to play shuffleboard, and at that point I didn't feel as awkward about sitting around and not drinking!

One thing that I am surprised about is how much my taste buds have already changed.  And how much I'm willing to just throw sh*t together and see what happens.  That was a big fail on the fish the other night, but a big win with the chicken today.  As for the taste buds, I licked my finger after opening my daughter's IcePop last night, and OMG it was DISGUSTING.  I won't be making that mistake again.  I used to knock back cherry IcePops, no prob, but last night, it tasted like I had insect repellent on my tongue.  Which, I probably did, with all the crap that is in those.  Which is why I am ordering these and making my own pops for her.  Hopefully she will like them, now that she's tasted all of the HFCS, she will probably turn up her nose at mine!

Day 11
Breakfast:  FAIL. 
Post Run Snack: 2 orange slices and a banana
Snack: 1/2 hamburger patty
Lunch: Hamburger patty with salsa, steamed asparagus
Dinner:  Porkchops, with...  well, read below!

For breakfast, I grabbed what was left of the Spanish tortilla (about 2/3s of 1/4) and scrambled up some egg whites, to eat on the way to my 5k.  They did not sit well at all, so I only ate about 4 bites. :(  The run kinda sucked on empty stomach, I had a stitch in my side for the first 2 miles, and felt like I was fighting that.  We turned in a 34 minute time.  Not my best, but the rumor at the finish line was that it was longer than 3.1miles, and it definitely felt like it. 

So, for dinner, hubby and I decided to go to Perry's Steakhouse.  It had been awhile since we've had a date night, and I picked Perry's because I thought it would be fairly easy to eat at a steakhouse.  But, once we made the reservations, I knew that I would want a martini.  So, I referred to the Cheating Flowchart page of the Whole 30, and I decided to have a martini.  And then I had a revelation.

This Whole 30 thing has been pretty darn easy.  And so, I got to thinking... if I can really do this with minimal change to my diet and lifestyle (which I've done so far) then can't I do this forever?  And if I want to incorporate most of these Whole 30 changes into the rest of my life, then why do I need to be overly strict for the first 30 days?  The goal when I started this was to find out if carbs were causing me to have a "wheat belly" and if cutting our sugar would help me come off the metformin.  And in the first 12 days, I found out that I am definitely affected by wheat belly.  As a whole, I feel much better at the end of the day while on the Whole 30.

So, I'm going to finish out the Whole 30, avoiding all of the things they say to avoid.  And then I'm going to live the rest of my life avoiding white grains, limiting brown grains, massively limiting sugar, and really thinking twice about the things I'm putting into my body.

As for dinner last night.  I enjoyed the heck out of calamari, then had the famous porkchop (but scraped off the butter), and their fried asparagus.  I also had the elderflower martini (which, ironically, didn't taste as amazing as it usually does), and a glass of malbec, which I couldn't finish.  This morning, I was as mucous-y as I was before starting this, and this afternoon, my intestines are very mad at me.  So, I've learned what sugar, alcohol and flour do to my body!  But I still wouldn't change a thing!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment