Sunday, May 26, 2013

Whole 30 Days 19-25: Out of Steam

Day 19
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, bacon, pineapple
Snack: Larabar (coconut cream pie = yum)
Lunch: Cumin roast (leftover from last week still)
Snack: 1/2 larabar (blueberry muffin, ok)
Dinner: Off-roading

So, I got back into my high school jeans today.  Which is what I've been working towards.  So, I'm taking the night off from cooking to celebrate.  I ordered a pizza for the husband and the kid.  I don't know if I will enjoy it with them, but I do know that I am not freaking cooking!  And, I'm celebrating by allowing myself to have some PowerAde Zero.  I've missed it so much, and nothing quenches my thirst after a hot run as well as a PowerAde.  There's always tomorrow, and the rest of my life, to get back on the Whole 30 bus.  :)

Day 20
Pre-Workout: Banana
Breakfast: Tuna, avocado, and hard boiled egg salad, Cranberry, almond, raisin, and pepita trail mix
Lunch: Out with a rep to Jenni's Noodle HouseRice noodle, shiitake, bamboo, snow peas, sprouts with chicken
Dinner: scrambled eggs with salsa, 1/2 banana, Blueberry muffin Larabar

So, last night, I did have 2 pieces of pizza. We didn't have any good beer in the house, so I went for the pizza instead.  And I savored the heck out of it, because it was delicious.  And this morning, I am a bloated mess, my workout was super hard.  I knew that would happen, but old habits die hard, I guess.   I also didn't hydrate as well as I should have yesterday.  Oh well!

I'm starting to lose steam on this whole thing.  As I'm getting further into the book, I'm realizing what I'm doing wrong.  And instead of trying to fix it now, it's making me frustrated, and it's making me totally spazz out on my eating.  Like, for dinner, the husband wasn't home and I didn't get home until 7.  My daughter had already eaten, so I just needed to throw something together for me.  And instead of thoughtfully grabbing some veggies (which we have plenty of) and figuring out what to do with those, I took the easy route of cooking some eggs and calling it a night.  I am looking forward to doing this the right way, when the national Whole 30 cranks up in July (at least, I assume they are doing it this July).

Day 21
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with salsa, Ella's Butternut Squash, carrot, apple, and prune squeeze
Lunch: Pulled pork
Snack: Roasted veggies
Snack: Trail mix of cranberries, raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds, and pepitas
Dinner: Tilapia with curry rub, steamed asparagus

That was the last of the pulled pork.  So sad.  I had some steamed broccoli and carrots leftover too, but they had gone bad.  Bummer.  Now I'm going to be hungry! :(  But.. SCORE. I went into the break room to cut up my kiwi (the only food I had left) and there was a giant pan of roasted veggies, leftover from lunch.  I made a plate of carrots, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and onions.  HOORAY!

Day 22
Pre-workout: Blueberry breakfast sausage
Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, almonds with raisins, blueberry muffin larabar
Lunch: Larabar (cashew cookie), sweet potato squeeze, 2 slices of turkey lunch meat
Dinner: Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli

I forgot my breakfast, so I had to scrounge.  I'm going to have to chow down on some sweet potatoes like crazy later, because it's a double work-out day today.  I've already learned that if I don't recover with carbs, then I don't really recover (my muscles are sore for a week!).  Here's hoping I can swing by Target later for some more squeezes, or I can pop my sweet potatoes in the oven before Body Back tonight!

So, I had time to swing by Target, but I did *not* have time to get back to the office for the lunch that I had thoughtfully packed.  So, lunch was a sad affair of the squeeze and bar that I bought at Target on the way to get my daughter from school, plus 2 slices of lunch meat that I was able to grab from the fridge as I was walking circles around my house, trying to put my niece to sleep.  Not surprisingly, I felt munchy, tired, and cranky for the rest of the day.  I finally felt better after I got some real food in at dinner.  But by that point, I was super frustrated.  After my mom came for my niece, I put some yummy-smelling meatballs in the crockpot, but they weren't done by the time I needed to eat, so I didn't get to enjoy them.  So once again, I scrounged for some food, and found a chicken breast to put with the broccoli that did cook on time.  When I do the Whole 30 in July, I'm going to spend some time planning all of my meals, and start packing a cooler to take with me, so that I won't keep getting stuck without compliant food.  Guess I'll get to enjoy the meatballs later this week!

Day 23
Breakfast: scrambled eggs with salsa
Lunch: Grilled chicken, steamed broccoli, mango
Snack: kiwi
Dinner: pineapple chicken, roasted sweet potato

Once again, the food problem.  When I got home from Body Back last night, I realized that my avocados were rotten, and that I didn't have any eggs boiled.  Which means nothing to pack for eating post-boot camp.  So, I skipped boot camp in favor of a run with my sister this evening.

Day 24
MY BIRTHDAY
Breakfast: Chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream
Lunch: Shrimp salad on lettuce, avocado, pumpkin bread
Dinner: Fried pickles, boiled crawfish, Abita strawberry beer, stuffed mushrooms, Italian cream cake

So, I sent the husband a list of 21 day sugar detox treats, and told him that he could make one for my birthday breakfast.  It's tradition in my family that you get cake for breakfast on your birthday, but I was going to stay strong.  Only, he thought we had all of the ingredients, which we didn't.  So at 7:30 last night, I told him that we could just do chocolate cake and ice cream.  But that it had to be a gooey, totally rich, and worth it chocolate cake.  And Blue Bell vanilla ice cream.  I enjoyed the heck out of the cake this morning, but the ice cream tasted super funky.  Husband warned me that it would.  He actually said, "why does it matter if it's Blue Bell?  Your taste buds are all messed up right now," and I wanted to say, "my taste buds are all normal right now, you mean," but I didn't.  But, he was right.  I did not like the blue bell vanilla.  Sigh.

For lunch, my mom, sister, and I went to a tea room that we love.  I made the "better" choice of not getting the sandwich sampler that I usually get (pimento, turkey, and chicken salad, all on white bread, with pumpkin bread and a bowl of fruit).  Instead, I got their salad with shrimp salad, no dressing, and then enjoyed two bites of my mom's pumpkin bread.

For dinner, my BIL chose a seafood place (it's his birthday, too).  The family split an order of fried pickles, and boiled crawfish.  They were delicious.  I enjoyed an Abita beer.  And then I ordered crabbed stuffed (steamed) mushrooms fro my meal, and they were disappointing.  So, I only ate 2 of them, and my dad took the rest home.  I don't know if it was me or the food that was the problem.  Then we all came back to my house, and my sister had baked an Italian cream cake, which I had some, but it was way too sweet!  I have a feeling that was me. :)

Day 25
Breakfast: Kolache of scrambled eggs and sausage
Snack: top of a blueberry muffin
Lunch: CFA nuggets, fruit
Dinner: Lamb and potato samosas, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chocolate samosas with chai ice cream.  Pimms cup, wine

We took a family trip to Sea Center Texas, so we grabbed breakfast on the way.  And in true processed food form, I was hungry like 15 minutes after we ate.  My daughter had ordered a blueberry muffin for the road, so I ate the top off of it.  And then I was finally full.  Blech.  For lunch, we popped into CFA before my daughter fell asleep.  I could have gotten the grilled chicken breast, and I could have thrown the bun away and just had the breast.  But I really didn't want to.  So, I got the nuggets, and they were massively disappointing. 

For dinner, we had planned to meet some old friends at an Indian restaurant.  We'd planned this for months, and I knew I was going to have samosas and tikka masala.  My faves. :)  The samosas were kind of bland, and the tikka masala was a little too sweet.  It was all fine, but not great. When I saw chocolate samosas with chai ice cream, topped with salted caramel, I thought I was dreaming.  Until recently, I had forgotten how much I love chai.  Salted caramel seems to be a big thing right now, and I love it.  And chocolate is... duh.    But again, it was a disappointment.  It was fine, but not amazing.

Then hubby and I went to a wine bar, where I got the Bee Sweet flight (muscat frizzante, moscato, pink muscat).  It was delicious, and I enjoyed spending some alone time with hubs.  We've both been going in a million different directions.  He loves his job, and I love exercise, and we both have goals relative to those things, and it seems like we never see each other.  So it was nice to reconnect, at our favorite type of place.  We got engaged at a wine bar in Lubbock, where we used to go at least twice a month.  It was nice to find a similar place in Houston (although the one in Lubbock is still better- better wines, better ambiance).

So, lesson learned this week:  Processed food is always disappointing.  Let's see if I can keep that in mind this week, as things continue to stay hectic, and it seems easier to make the fast choice.  Second lesson: alcohol still rocks.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment